Since 11 o’clock on the 11th of November 1919 people in Dunbartonshire have paid their respects and remembered the Great War dead through the ceremony of Remembrance. Remembrance often takes the form of two minutes silence in front of a war memorial.
It was often difficult to reach unanimous local agreement on the form that memorials should take and, of course, money had to be raised.
After hostilities finally ended in November 1918, there were a number of war memorials erected to pay homage to those who died in the war.
Auchinairn, Baldernock, Bearsden, Bishopbriggs, Chryston, Gartcosh, Kirkintilloch, Lennoxtown, Milngavie, Stepps, Torrance, Twechar all built their own local tributes.
The Bishopbriggs War Memorial by the Cross Court was donated to the town by the Stirling family in 1920. They were one of the key land-owning families of the area.
At Milngavie, the memorial was unveiled on 17 September 1922 by Brigadier General A Douglas Campbell, CB. The whole community was involved from the Council to youth organisations and local schoolchildren who joined the parade led by pipers.
They joined the main body which had formed at Barloch Moor and marched to the square via Moor Road, Strathblane Road and Station Road in a parade led by Lieutenant Colonel Kyle, CMG, DSO, who was also the town clerk of Milngavie Burgh.
The service was conducted by the ministers of St Paul’s Church, Cairns, Baldernock United Free Church and St Andrew’s Episcopal and led by Reverend John Edgar. At that time the Memorial listed 110 men who had laid down their lives from the 5,000 population in the district.