The Government rented houses for the duration of the conflict to accommodate servicemen. One such was Carlekemp in Abbotsford Road, North Berwick, which was used as an officers' convalescent home. One young officer recovering at Carlekemp recalled seeing the long procession of the surrendering German Fleet of some 70 warships steaming up the Forth, while in the foreground a leather booted horse was drawing a mower over the fairways on the golf course.
At Haddington and Dunbar United Free Presbytery, Mr Williamson, Tranent, who was in the uniform of an army chaplain, referred to the large number of casualties to East Lothian men at the front, and mentioned particularly the death of Colonel Alexander Brook, commanding the Royal Scots (Territorials).
Battery Auxiliary Hospital, Dunbar, was a small military hospital. At the end of the War local doctors and others decided to utilise the building to found a cottage hospital. Dunbar and District Cottage Hospital opened in July 1919. The hospital later building burned down in 1937 in an incident caused by a bonfire and fireworks set off in celebration of Edward VIII's coronation.
Captain Alexander Graham Spiers Logie, MB, CM, Royal Army Medical Corps, born in 1887 and the third son of the Reverend Dr Alexander Graham Spiers Logie, minister of Dirleton died of pneumonia at the 1st Northern General Hospital, Newcastle-on-Tyne.