The 5th Highland Light Infantry was originally known as the 19th Lanark Rifle Volunteers, one of the Volunteer units raised in 1859. In 1880, it became the 5th Lanark Volunteers.
The connection with the Highland Light Infantry began in 1887, when it was named the 1st Volunteer Battalion Highland Light Infantry, a detachment of which served in the South African War. On the formation of the Territorial Force in 1909, the present name was adopted.
The old history of the unit is contained in the Records of the Scottish Volunteer Force 1859-1908, by the late Lieutenant General J. M. Grierson, CVO, CB, CMG.
This book linked below was published in 1921 and dealt with their record of service in the war 1914-1918.
The book was published privately for those who served and others who were interested.
It was written by officers of the Battalion who were with the Battalion during the period of written about.
It was written to the memory of their gallant comrades who fell and who themselves did so much to make the history of the Battalion.