Captain David Lowe MacIntyre, VC, CB, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, attached to the 1/6th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry, was born at Portnahaven, Islay, Argyll on 18 June 1895. He was the second son of Archibald MacIntyre, a United Free Church Minister, and Elizabeth MacIntyre, of 25 Downie Terrace, Corstorphine.
His siblings were Alexander, George and Robert.
He attended George Watson's College from 1907 to 1914. From 1914 to 1915 and then in 1918, he was a Student of Arts at the University of Edinburgh, where he was Cadet on the Officer Training Corps Infantry from February to May 1915, when he enlisted.
He served as a Lieutenant in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders during the Great War. Whilst serving in France at Henine and Fontaine, and under constant enemy heavy shelling he remained calm and inspired confidence in all ranks. He organised a party of men to deal with extra strong barricades and move the line forward. Whilst under command of the firing line he supervised the making of gaps in the barricades and he single-handedly rushed enemy soldiers, putting their guns out of action. For his actions he received the VC.
He survived the war and died in Edinburgh on 31st July 1967. His medals are held at the National War Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.