The Scottish Women’s First Aid Corps was established in 1909.The corps was started by women who believed that a European war was inevitable. It was probably the first Voluntary Aid Detachment scheme in Britain. The corps was affiliated to the Saint Andrew’s Ambulance Association but it preserved its own identity and independence.


The Corps served on the Home and Fighting Fronts and established in Edinburgh a hospital, a surgical requisites workshop and a hostel for Canadian Officers.


It was the only organised body of women called upon by the Chief Constable of Edinburgh to undertake duty at Police Stations in the event of Air Raids.


The Corps had their Headquarters at the Synod Hall, Tollcross, Edinburgh.


For more information, click the following link:


The Scottish Women's First Aid Corps.

 The Scottish Women’s First Aid Corps

  People

  Horatio Bottomley

  International People

  - Chief Clear Sky

  Local People

   - George W Browne

   - Alexander Christison

   - James Ferrigan

   - Francis Lewis Grant

   - Harry Lauder

   - John Lorne MacLeod

   - George McCrae

   - Alexander Sim

   - Victoria Cross

   - William Wishart

  Women

   - Scottish Women’s Aid

   - WRAF

People Home About Home Front Fighting Front Casualties Communication Remembrance

 Midlothian’s War

site search by freefind advanced
Scotland Home. Official