Until the creation of the Territorial Force, the 10th Battalion the Royal Scots was the 8th (Volunteer) Battalion, and earlier still the 1st Administrative Battalion Linlithgowshire Rifle Volunteers. The 10th (Cyclist) Battalion was one of only two Scottish Cyclist Units formed when Lord Haldane created the Territorial Force.
HQ Company was based at Linlithgow.
A Company- Linlithgow, a drill station at Philipstoun.
B Company-Boness, a drill station at Carriden.
C Company-Armadale, drill stations at Whitburn, Pumpherston, Blackridge.
E Company-Uphall, drill stations at Broxburn and Livingston.
F Company-Fauldhouse, a drill station at Harthill.
G Company-West Calder, a drill station at Addiewell.
H Company-Kirkliston, drill stations at Dalmeny, Winchburgh, Newbridge.
In September 1914, the war office authorised all units of the Territorial Force to form second and third line units. Following an intensive recruiting campaign, The 2/10th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Scots, was raised in ten days with recruits from the towns and villages of the County. It mobilised as a Battalion on 13th October, 1914.
In common with other units at the time, great difficulty was experienced in obtaining equipment. Cycles were more easily obtained than clothing and rifles.
Ultimately the Battalion moved to Berwick where it was employed on coast defence duties, the threat of invasion was very real at this time, and as long as this threat existed there was little hope of the Battalion proceeding overseas as a complete unit. However, at intervals and in total, hundreds of men were allowed to volunteer for service overseas. Volunteers join other Battalions of Royal Scots and certain Lowland Regiments, primarily Royal Scots Fusiliers and Kings Own Scottish Borderers.
In 1917 the 2/10th Royal Scots with the 1/10th Royal Scots and other English Cyclist Battalions were moved to Ireland. Early in 1918, the 2/10th Royal Scots was brought up to strength and was part of the Expeditionary Force sent to North Russia. It embarked at Newcastle and landed at Archangel. During the autumn and winter of 1918-1919, the Battalion took part in a difficult and harassing campaign and suffered many casualties, the operations' extending between the Rivers Dwina and Vaga.
In the course of operations two Russian Field Guns were captured, one of the guns now stands in front of the Guard Room at Dreghorn Barracks. On its return to this country in July 1919, the Battalion landed at Leith and was met by the Provost and Magistrates of Leith and later accorded a civic reception by Edinburgh Town Council. The Battalion then proceeded to Linlithgow where it was accorded a civic reception by the Town Council. Demobilisation followed, the County Battalion had completed almost five years of active service at home and abroad.
West Lothian’s War
Some of the 2/10th (Cyclists) Battalion Royal Scots.